The first Presbyterian services were held in Banff in 1887 by Rev. Elliot and student missionary Rev McKay in a local resident's home. The following year, a church was built at the junction of Bear and Lynx Streets with lumber donated by the Canadian Pacific Railway.
By 1929, Banff Avenue had replaced Lynx Street as the main town throughfare and the 1888 church was moved to the back of this site. It now serves as the parish hall and is among Banff's oldest buildings. In 1930, Rev. Dr. Frank Baird and Rev. Nixon laid the cornerstone for the church we see today.
This church designed by Calgary architect D. S. McIlroy, is built in the High Victorian Gothic Revival Style with Tudor details over stucco. The base is clad in locally quarried Rundle rock. The 22 m high spire is galvanized metal painted to look like copper and the tower is elegantly decorated. An impressive stained glass window featuring Mt. Rundle is located over the front doorway.
E-mail us at: email@example.com
Banff Lodging Co. is an employee owned and operated company with hotels, restaurants, spa, snow school, and retail/rental shop.
©2003-17 Banff Lodging Company - Privacy StatementSupported by Otago Computing Inc.