Perhaps none of Banff's early settlers contributed more to the town's development than Norman K. Luxton (b.1874-d.1962). Influenced by his father, co-founder of the Winnipeg Free Press, Luxton worked as a journalist for the Calgary Herald until he moved to Vancouver in 1901. Luxton came to Banff to recuperate after a 10,000 mile Trans-Pacific voyage aboard the canoe Tilikum, and never left. In 1902, he purchased the Banff Crag and Canyon newspaper, which he published for 49 years. His other Banff enterprises included the Indian local "booster," instrumental in the Board of Trade, Banff Indian Days, and the Banff Winter Carnival.
In 1904, Norman Luxton and Georgina McDougall (b.1870-d.1965) were married. "Georgie" was a member of the famous McDougall family of missionaries and traders. She was reportedly the first non-native child born in what is now Alberta and was taken into the Stoney tribe as a Princess and Blood Sister. In 1907, the Luxtons purchased this home from rancher Frank Ricks. The Luxtons; daughter Eleanor (b.1908)-educator, engineer, businesswoman, collector and historian-lived here until her death in 1995. She established the Eleanor Luxton Historical Foundation. The Foundation owns this home, "Tanglewood" at 208 Beaver Street, and "Beaver Lodge" at 212 Beaver Street.
E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Banff Lodging Co. is an employee owned and operated company with hotels, restaurants, spa, snow school, and retail/rental shop.
©2003-17 Banff Lodging Company - Privacy StatementSupported by Otago Computing Inc.