In 1904, the Pacific Coal Co. established the coal mining town of Bankhead along the lower slopes of Cascade Mountain, a town which rivaled Banff until the mine's closure in 1922. The town's houses were eventually sold for $50 per room and relocated to Banff, Canmore, and Calgary. Banff businessman Forbes Finlayson had this house moved to its present location by tractor. It was acquired by his partner Forrest "Pop" Kidney and his wife Maude Kidney in 1926. This large dwelling, with decorative fretwork along its gables and verandah, was typical of many company-built management houses.
Originally called "Dalhousie", the property was renamed "Kidney Kabins" around 1930 when the Kidneys built a number of backyard cabins to provide additional lodgings for the booming automobile tourist industry. These cabins were removed in the early 1990's. During the 1930's, many Banff residents built similar cabins and tent houses behind their homes after the Parks Department amended their building regulations to allow for this type of adhoc accommodation.
E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Banff Lodging Co. is an employee owned and operated company with hotels, restaurants, spa, snow school, and retail/rental shop.
©2003-17 Banff Lodging Company - Privacy StatementSupported by Otago Computing Inc.