This church is named after Methodist Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle (1811 - 1896). Based out of Fort Edmonton, he was an early missionary to the Rockies and was among the first Europeans to see this area. Between 1840 and 1848, he ministered to the First Nations near Lake Minnewanka. Mount Rundle, which overlooks the Town of Banff, is named after him.
In 1886, Rev. Dyke held the first Methodist services in Banff. The first Banff Mission under Rev. C. Williams was established in 1887 and a Methodist church was established on this site. The United Church of Canada was Created in 1925. It is a union of Methodist Presbyterian, and Congregationalist churches. The first clergyman in the new church was Rev. T. H. Lonsdale who served here from union until 1957.
This Gothic Revival style church designed by John Manuel of Winnipeg was built in 1927. It has modified Tudor half-timbering details over rough cast stucco with a cross gable decorated with a sunburst. The tower is asymmetrically located on the corner and locally quarried Rundle Stone adorns the church's base. The stained glass windows depict the founding denominations, the stories of Christ, and the diversity of Canada. Additions to the original structure were made in 1967.
E-mail us at: email@example.com
Banff Lodging Co. is an employee owned and operated company with hotels, restaurants, spa, snow school, and retail/rental shop.
©2003-17 Banff Lodging Company - Privacy StatementSupported by Otago Computing Inc.