"Abegweit" (a Miq'maq word for Prince Edward Island meaning "cradled in the waves") was completed in 1915 and was the home of the Crosby family. Arriving from Prince Edward Island in 1907, Louis S. Crosby (b. 1887 - d. 1964) began as an accountant for the Brewster Brothers who ran several businesses, including a "tally-ho" service for sightseeing and transporting visitors between the CPR station and Banff Springs Hotel. When automobiles were allowed in the Park in 1913, the Brewster Transport Co. soon switched to open touring cars and busses, with Crosby as General Manager. He became President in 1947 and remained with the company for 57 years. Crosby was an enthusiastic promoter of Banff's schools and sports.
Born in Enbland, Gertrude (Seaton) Crosby (b. 1880 - d. 1970) came to Banff from Vancouver in 1907 and became one of the CPR's first women telegraphers. The Crosbys were married in 1911 and had five children. In 1923, they established the Lake Louise Trading Co., a log cabin combining a store and tea room, and worked to expand the business into today's Deer Lodge.
E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Banff Lodging Co. is an employee owned and operated company with hotels, restaurants, spa, snow school, and retail/rental shop.
©2003-17 Banff Lodging Company - Privacy StatementSupported by Otago Computing Inc.