In 1903, Byron Harmon (1875-1942) arrived in Banff (see 136 St. Julien Road). A professional photographer originally from Tacoma, Washington, he was named the Alpine Club of Canada's first official photographer in 1906. During his career he amassed a collection of over 6500 photographs. A successful entrepreneur, in 1908 he purchased half of the site on which this building now sits. In 1912, he secured the other half and opened a movie theatre, which was destroyed by fire in 1917.
The current building was built in 1917. The building features Tudor style half timbering on its gables and entry pillars originally constructed of river stones. In its time the building has housed a photo studio, curio shop, tearoom, bookstore, beauty parlor, theatre, library and drugstore. The building had Banff's first gas lighting, ice cream machine, neon sign and one of western Canada's first postcard machines. The Harmon family still owns the building. The mall features not only the photography of Byron Harmon, but also that of his son Don and granddaughter Carol.
E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Banff Lodging Co. is an employee owned and operated company with hotels, restaurants, spa, snow school, and retail/rental shop.
©2003-17 Banff Lodging Company - Privacy StatementSupported by Otago Computing Inc.